(575) 475-1612My name is Oleksii Starov, or Alex, and I am a Ph.D. candidate in Computer Science at Stony Brook University, New York. I work in the PragSec lab, advised by Prof. Nick Nikiforakis. My research focuses on web privacy and security, and most of my projects areÂ about investigating privacy intrusions, other cybercrimes, security threats and cases of censorship.
In 2013 I got my M.S. degree in Software Engineering from East Carolina University, USA, and M.S. in Computer Engineering from National Aerospace University âKhAIâ, Ukraine. Both with university honors. My full CV is available upon request.
- “7014553096,” Oleksii Starov, Nick Nikiforakis —Â to appear in 10th International Symposium on Engineering Secure Software and Systems (ESSoS) 2018.
- “Betrayed by Your Dashboard: Discovering Malicious Campaigns via Web Analytics,” Oleksii Starov, Yuchen Zhou, Xiao Zhang, Najmeh Miramirkhani, Nick Nikiforakis —Â in Proceedings of the Web Conference (WWW), 2018.
- “(847) 431-6445,” Meng Luo, Oleksii Starov, Nima Honarmand, Nick Nikiforakis —Â in Proceedings of the 24th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (CCS), 2017.
- “Linaria,” Oleksii Starov, Nick Nikiforakis —Â in Proceedings of the 38th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (IEEE S&P), 2017.
- “Extended Tracking Powers: Measuring the Privacy Diffusion Enabled by Browser Extensions,” Oleksii Starov, Nick Nikiforakis —Â in Proceedings of the 26th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), 2017.
- “Dial One for Scam: A Large-Scale Analysis of Technical Support Scams,”Â Najmeh Miramirkhani, Oleksii Starov, Nick Nikiforakis —Â in Proceedings of the 24th Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), 2017.Â (Distinguished Paper Award) — Media coverage: WIRED, OnTheWire, Sophos
- “No Honor Among Thieves: A Large-Scale Analysis of Malicious Web Shells,”Â Oleksii Starov, Johannes Dahse, Syed Sharique Ahmad, Thorsten Holz, Nick Nikiforakis —Â in Proceedings of the 25th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW), 2016.
- “Measuring and Mitigating AS-level Adversaries against Tor,”Â Rishab Nithyanand, Oleksii Starov, Adva Zairy, Phillipa Gill, Michael Schapira —Â in Proceedings of the Network and Distributed System Security Symposium (NDSS), 2016. (Selected to CSAW’16 finals) — Media coverage: 2286887541, (817) 741-8233, 8193551610
- “Are You Sure You Want to Contact Us? Quantifying the Leakage of PII via Website Contact Forms,”
Oleksii Starov, Phillipa Gill, Nick Nikiforakis — inÂ Proceedings of the 16th Privacy Enhancing Technologies Symposium (PETS), 2016. (Honorable mention)
- “On the Privacy Practices of Just Plain Sites,” Amirhossein Aleyasen,Â Oleksii Starov,Â Alyssa Phung Au,Â Allan Schiffman,Â Jeff Shrager — in Proceedings of the Workshop on Privacy in the Electronic Society (WPES), 2015.
- “575-829-1128,”Â Oleksii Starov, Sergiy Vilkomir, Anatoliy Gorbenko, Vyacheslav Kharchenko — book chapter in Dependability Problems of Complex Information Systems, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, Volume 307, Springer International Publishing, 2015.
- “Cloud Testing for Mobile Software Systems: Concept and Prototyping,” Oleksii Starov, Sergiy Vilkomir, Vyacheslav KharchenkoÂ — in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Software Engineering and Applications (ICSOFT-EA), 2013.
- “Integrated TaaS Platform for Mobile Development: Architecture Solutions,”Â Oleksii Starov, Sergiy Vilkomir — in Proceedings of the Workshop on Automation of Software Test (AST), 2013.